If you’re looking for hydrated moisturized skin (because who isn’t) the cheapest and most natural product is oats. Oats are a great source of nutrients for your body but they also help to improve the skin’s appearance when applied topically. Read on to find out why oats are a superfood and how you can create DIY oat mask with only two ingredients.
Benefits Of Oats
Thanks to a powerhouse combination of actives, oats can:
- Exfoliate for even tone and texture: Antioxidants present in oats help protect and calm skin, reducing redness and inflammation for a smooth and radiant complexion.
- Cleanse: Oats make an ideal, gentle cleanser for sensitive skin because they wash away impurities, and re-mineralize the skin without stripping or dehydrating.
- Moisturize: Oats contain beta-glucan that forms a thin film on your skin to retain water and allow it to penetrate deep into the skin.
- Fight acne: Oats soak up excess oil and help calm acne. The exfoliating effects and powerful minerals help scrub away blackheads and clogged pores, removing dead skin cells and polishing skin without over-drying.
- Relieve itchy skin: Oats are antipruritic so they help cool the skin and control itching.
Given all of these amazing benefits, it’s no wonder that oats have earned the reputation as a staple ingredient in cosmetics as well as the countertop.
Without buying expensive creams or masks that contain oats you can create your own at-home oat mask with only two ingredients! This mask is perfect for all skin types.
A Simple Vegan Oat Mask You Can Do Every Alternative Day
- 2 tbsp oats (they can be rolled oats, steel-cut oats or colloidal oatmeal – whatever you have on hand)
- 2 – 3 tbsp lukewarm water
- Take the oats into the palm of your hand and add water to them. You should add enough water to fully soak the oats and still have some extra.
- Take your finger and mix the two ingredients to form a milky consistency. Some oats will remain solid and some should break down.
- Apply this mixture to your face and leave on for 10 minutes or till it starts to dry slightly.
- You can rinse off with water or take it one step further by scrubbing the dried oats on your face with wet fingers in circular motions. This is a fairly mild scrub you can do more than once a week. Once scrubbed, rinse off the remaining oats.
Continue this mask for a few weeks and expect to see brighter, tighter and smoother skin. Let me know in the comments if you plan on trying this mask. I’d love to hear your feedback.
Continue the oat-loving journey by including Consonant Skincare’s Vitamin E + Oat Serum and Bathorium’s Ancient Oat Hydration Crush in your skin and body care routine. You will feel youthful, hydrated and soft all over.